The Sea Surface Temperature project is being undertaken by core European centres of excellence in the field of Sea Surface Temperature research and application.
The partners are:
- University of Reading
- Met Office
We still collaborate actively with the wider range of expert partners who participated in earlier phases of SST CCI:
- Brockmann Consult
- Space ConneXions
- Norwegian Meteorological Institute
- University of Leicester
- Meteo France
Involvement of the Climate Research Community
The Climate Research Group is led by the Met Office Hadley Centre, who are experienced in observational dataset development for climate science and modelling. The CRG members work daily with climate modellers and other climate scientists worldwide. They have a deep appreciation of the concerns and perspectives of the modelling community regarding climate data.
To succeed, the CCI programme must meet the needs of key user groups.
Key elements of the international framework for this programme are:
- GCOS: which represents the scientific and technical requirements of the Global Climate Observing System on behalf of UNFCCC and IPCC.
- International Climate Research Programmes, which represent the collective interests and priorities of the worldwide climate research communities
- CEOS: which serves as a focal point for Earth Observation related activities of Space Agencies in the GEO framework
- Individual Partner Space Agencies with whom ESA cooperates bilaterally
- EC and National Research Programmes which establish research priorities and provide resources for climate research community within Europe
- Individual end-user organizations in ESA member states and worldwide, climate research, monitoring and modelling practitioners who are active in the IPCC processes