1st Permafrost_cci User Workshop
The preliminary meeting Agenda is available for your information: CCI+_PERMA_WORKSHOP_AGENDA_v1
The permafrost_cci project team invites the scientific community to the first user workshop of the ESA Climate Climate Change Initiative (CCI) – Permafrost Essential Climate Variable
Target audience: current & potential new permafrost_cci users, scientists and organisations interested in permafrost, including specifically climate modellers. Students are welcome.
Date: Monday, 27 September 2021, 14:00-18:00 CET
Venue: Virtual Meeting
Meeting link: Distributed in advance of the meeting to the registered participants
In the frame of the European Space Agency (ESA) Climate Change Initiative (CCI) the permafrost_cci project developed and generated a novel 23 years long climate data record of annual northern hemisphere permafrost parameters using satellite data. The products were specified based on a requirement review at the start of the project (User requirements document) building on a series of surveys within the ESA DUE Permafrost and GlobPermafrost projects. The third version of the permafrost product consists of annual ground temperature at various depths (GRD), active layer thickness (ALT) and permafrost extent (PEX). The data were released to the user community through the ESA CCI Open Data Portal.
In order to characterise the evolution of mountain permafrost globally, an IPA Action Group was launched in 2018 to manage a service dedicated to rock glacier inventories and kinematics and to promote the integration of rock glacier kinematics as a new associated parameter to the ECV Permafrost. In this context, specific guidelines to integrate kinematic information within rock glacier inventories exploiting satellite SAR interferometry were developed within permafrost_CCI and applied to eleven regional inventories worldwide (see here under Preliminary results).
The workshop will bring together the permafrost_cci project team, the Climate Research Group associated with permafrost_cci, and users of permafrost_cci products working in various application fields related to climate monitoring and modelling.
Objectives of the workshop
- Review and consolidate the portfolio of permafrost_cci products
- Collect feedback on the usage of permafrost_cci products from various applications
- Discuss challenges related to the generation of permafrost CDRs (Climate Data Records)
- Review and consolidate requirements and specifications of permafrost products as guidelines for further developments
- Engage the permafrost research community to facilitate collaboration and networking
- Present and discuss results from climate research applications and process studies using permafrost CDRs
- Encourage usage of the permafrost_cci products for new applications
Expected outcomes of the workshop
- Assess the usability and performance of permafrost_cci products in various applications
- Identify of gaps and deficiencies of permafrost products specific to climate analysis needs
- Update and consolidate user requirements for the permafrost_cci products
- Provide recommendations for synergistic use and exploitation of permafrost products in the overall context of essential climate variables
Submission of titles for presentation
Short presentations of your application in climate research for which you already use, or anticipate using, permafrost_cci data are welcome.
Please provide the title of your presentation by 10th September 2021 as part of the online registration here.
Depending on the number of presentation requests the length will be 5-10 minutes.
Registration is open until 24th September 2021. The workshop is free of charge and open to presenters and non-presenters. In order to facilitate workshop organisation, we kindly ask to register
as soon as possible. Register here
We will provide updated information on the workshop and the draft program at https://climate.esa.int/en/projects/permafrost/workshops/
Submission of presentation titles together with registration 10th of September
Notification of acceptance of presentation and Agenda 16th of September
Online registration deadline 24th of September [Register here]
First permafrost_cci user workshop (online) 27th of September, 14:00-18:00 CET
Scientific organising committee
Tazio Strozzi (Gamma)
Annett Bartsch (b.geos)
Sebastian Westermann (University Oslo)
Guido Grosse (AWI)
Frank Martin Seifert (ESA)
Reynald Delaloye (UNIFR)
Annett Bartsch (annett.bartsch [at] bgeos.com) or Tazio Strozzi (strozzi [at] gamma-rs.ch)