This page details our privacy notice and consent.
The European Space Agency (herein the “Agency” or “ESA”) is an intergovernmental organisation established by its Convention opened for signature in Paris on 30 May 1975 having its headquarters located at 24 rue du Général Bertrand, CS 30798, 75345 Paris Cedex 07, France.
Protection of Personal Data is of great importance for ESA, which strives to ensure a high level of protection as required by the ESA Framework on Personal Data Protection (herein the “ESA PDP Framework”) which applies in this field. ESA implements appropriate measures to preserve the rights of data subjects, to ensure the processing of personal data for specified and legitimate purposes, in a not excessive manner, as necessary for the purposes for which the personal data were collected or for which they are further processed, in conditions protecting confidentiality, integrity and safety of personal data and generally to implement the principles set forth in the PDP Framework.
The ESA PDP Framework is available here.
ESA PDP Framework is composed of the following elements:
- the Principles of Personal Data Protection, as adopted by ESA Council Resolution (ESA/C/CCLXVIII/Res.2 (Final)) adopted on 13 June 2017;
- the Rules of Procedure for the Data Protection Supervisory Authority, as adopted by ESA Council Resolution; (ESA/C/CCLXVIII/Res.2 (Final)) adopted on 13 June 2017; and
- the Policy on Personal Data Protection adopted by Director General of ESA on 5 February 2018 and effective on 1 March 2018.
This form is intended to inform you, as data subject, about:
- the identity of the data controller and contact details of ESA Data Protection Officer (“DPO”);
- the type of personal data which is collected and processed;
- the modalities of collection of personal data;
- the purpose of the collection and processing;
- the recipients (if any) to whom the personal data of the data subject shall be disclosed;
- the time-limits for storing the personal data;
- the practical modalities of exercising the rights of the data subject under the ESA PDP Framework.
This form also enables ESA to obtain your consent relating to the collection and further processing of your personal data, under ESA PDP Framework.
(1) Who is the Data Controller ?
Your personal data are collected and further processed as shown below upon the decision taken by:
The European Space Agency
Thus the Data Controller is European Space Agency.
(2) The contact details of ESA Data Protection Officer
According to ESA PDP Framework, your first point of contact concerning personal data matters is the ESA Data Protection Officer (“DPO”), who may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information on the situations in which you may contact the ESA DPO, please refer to the questions below.
(3) What kind of personal data are collected about you and processed further?
The personal data which may be collected and further processed for the purposes mentioned below are in particular
- Organisation address
- Email address
Please do not send any sensitive information (including information that indicate, directly or indirectly, the personnel’s ethnic origin, political opinions, adhesion to unions, parties etc., health situation, sexual orientation) to the Agency.
(4) How are your personal data collected or further processed?
Your personal data may be collected by various means, including via:
- sign-up to ESA Climate Change Initiative mailing lists via the cci.esa.int, or CCI project, websites
- a personal request by direct email made to a ESA Climate Change project
- registration at events through a paper sign up form
- submission of applications to attend events
(5) Why are your personal data collected and further processed?
Your personal data are collected and further processed to:
- conduct ESA Climate Change Initiative User feedback surveys
- send you notifications in connection with ESA Climate Change Initiative updates including new data products, product updates, publications and related-resources
- invite you to participate, or make you aware of events involving the ESA Climate Change Initiative
- send you occasional newsletters and new features in relation with the ESA Climate Change Initiative
- communicate your personal data to third-parties collaborators, contractors and/or partners involved in the organisation and delivery of the ESA Climate Change Initiative
- allow the levels of engagement with the ESA Climate Change Initiative programme, projects and products, and where relevant, use of the cci.esa.int website
- may be used to categorise the browser on your computer and support ESA Climate Change Initiative store user preferences and usage trends on an aggregated basis. The website cci.esa.int uses Google Analytics and their privacy notice is available at https://policies.google.com/privacy#infocollect
In addition to these purposes, the Agency may use your personal information for any of the purposes mentioned in Article 5 of the Policy on Personal Data Protection.
(6) To whom might we disclose your personal data?
The Agency may disclose your personal data to any of the following third party recipients for the fulfilment of all or part of the purposes of the collection and processing of personal data, which are mentioned above:
Recipient acting as...
Servers of the recipient are located in:
These companies are involved in the operation, maintenance and hosting of the CCI website.
Multiple locations, some of which that are outside of the European Union. More detail can be found here.
Canada or the US
The Agency does not consider your personal data as an asset for sale and, thus, does not does not sell your personal data to any third parties.
(7) How long do we retain your personal data for?
The Agency may keep your personal data for as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the above mentioned purposes. Data will be kept until the end of 2024, the duration of CCI programme. Your Personal Data shall be deleted thereafter. Refer to section 8 below if you wish for your personal data to be erased.
(8) How can you erase, rectify, complete or amend your personal data?
The Agency is keen to collect and process accurate personal data and to keep it up to date.
You may request the erasure, rectification, completion or amendment of your personal data if, and to the extent that it is inaccurate or incomplete, having regard to the purposes for which they are collected and processed, or if they are processed in violation with the principles referred in ESA PDP Framework.
If you choose to make a request for the erasure of personal data, you understand and agree that the ESA Climate Change Initiative will not be able to notify you of any new climate data products, updates or other resources it produces, nor invite you to participate in related activities.
You may also be allowed access to your personal data and have the possibility to erase, rectify, complete or amend it, according to the following modalities:
By contacting the CCI project directly by email and requesting to access, complete or amend their personal data.
Contact details for each CCI project are available via each project page. Web links to all of the CCI project pages are available on cci.esa.int.
If you have difficulty in finding the relevant contact, email email@example.com.
(9) What could you do in case of a data protection incident?
In case of a data protection incident, you should contact ESA DPO, as first point of contact, by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In case you wish to submit a complaint, you are required to comply with the Rules of Procedure of the Supervisory Authority set forth by ESA PDP Framework. You will be required to demonstrate that a data protection incident occurred in relation to your personal data, following a decision of the Agency or at least to justify serious reasons to believe that such incident occurred.
(10) Your consent
You will be able to withdraw your consent depending on the modality used to collect your personal data, in particular
- by sending an email to the specific Climate Change Initiative project directly (the contact for each project are specified in individual Climate Change Initiative website project pages, which can be found via cci.esa.int)
- by unsubscribing to Climate Change Initiative project mailing lists
- by sending an email to ESA DPO at: email@example.com