In this section you can access a range of data from the Soil Moisture project.
The latest version (v04.7) is based on the algorithm of v04.4 with the dataset being reprocessed to 2019-12-31. At v04.7, updated L2 products for both passive and active products are used. These changes result in only minor data flagging alterations;v04.7 is otherwise similar to the previous public version v04.5. For more details, please see the change log provided with the data and the following documents:
Licencing conditions follow the principles of openness and transparency wherever applicable. All ECV data products resulting from the project are freely accessible.
Downloading the Data
The data is accessible via SFTP (secure file transfer protocol) You will receive detailed instructions on how to access the data upon registration. You will need to use ftp software that can handle this protocol, e.g. Filezilla/WinSCP. If you cannot access the server, please check the login credentials and port settings, and re-try. If you cannot access to the ftp site after number of attempts over a couple of days, or if you are interested in earlier product versions please contact us at CCI_SM_CONTACT@EODC.EU
(please consult the Frequently Asked Questions section of this website to see if your question has already been answered).
Using the Data
For information on how to use the product, please read the Product User Guide (PUG) (also provided in with the data on the FTP site).
A package is also available in Python for reading the data and converting it to time series.
- The source code for our python package and installation instructions are available here: https://github.com/TUW-GEO/esa_cci_sm
- The package can be installed via pip using "pip install esa_cci_sm"
- The documentation for this package is available here: https://esa-cci-sm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
Citing the data
- Gruber, A., Scanlon, T., van der Scalie, R., Wagner, W., Dorigo, W. (2019), Evolution of the ESA CCI Soil Moisture climate data records and their underlying merging methodology, Earth System Science Data, 11, 717-739, https://doi.org/10.5194/essd-11-717-2019.
- Gruber, A., Dorigo, W. Crow, W., & Wagner, W. (2017). Triple collocation-based merging of satellite soil moisture retrievals. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 1-13. DOI:10.1109/TGRS.2017.2734070
- Dorigo, W.A., Wagner, W., Albergel, C., Albrecht, F., Balsamo, G., Brocca, L., Chung, D., Ertl, M., Forkel, M., Gruber, A., Haas, E., Hamer, P. D., Hirschi, M., Ikonen, J., de Jeu, R., Kidd, R., Lahoz, W., Liu, Y. Y.,Miralles, D., Mistelbauer, T., Nicolai-Shaw, N., Parinussa, R., Pratola, C., Reimer, C., van der Schalie, R., Seneviratne, S. I. Smolander, T., Lecomte, P. (2017). ESA CCI Soil Moisture for improved Earth system understanding: State-of-the art and future directions, Remote Sensing of Environment. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2017.07.001.